Q:  What is the process for obtaining the Cross National Equivalent File (CNEF) data?

A:  In short, to access CNEF versions of the data you must:
1. Apply to the data provider in each country for permission to access the data.
2. Contact the CNEF project team to receive your copy of the cross national dataset.

Complete access procedures are available on the “Access Procedures” page.

Q:  Do I need to pay a fee to access the data?

A: In some cases such as Australia, the country requires the user to pay a separate fee. The research users  of any one the CNEF data sets, we ask to consider donating some amount to the OSU Cross National Equivalent Fund. Contributions to this fund defray the cost of producing the data each year and supporting users.

There are two exceptions to the above:

1.  PSID-CNEF data files are posted on the OSU website and can be downloaded free of charge by anyone registered with PSID.
2.  SLID data are only available by remote access – researchers submit a program to Statistics Canada – all they must do is register with the CNEF staff (CNEF@osu.edu).  To submit a program, send an e-mail to the SLID Client Services Unit at Statistics Canada (slidremote@statcan.gc.ca).

Q: I am considering using these data for a project, but I’m not sure if it has exactly what I need. Is it possible to obtain more information on what types of material is included in the data and what the sample looks like?

A: You can browse the data files and documentation at the DIW website http://www.diw.de/en/soep. Click through the link to the “Research Data Center SOEP” and then to “SOEPinfo”, which is a search engine that you can use to browse the data. It has nice features that include an option to search for text strings and then find all corresponding variables from all waves of the data.

Q: How long does the process take from the time I apply to the time I receive the data disks?

A: It depends on the specific circumstances, but generally a few weeks.

Q: May graduate or undergraduate students access the data?

A: CNEF data contracts must be registered under a supervising professor or mentor.  Students are added to the account holder’s contract as authorized users and can then use the data.

Some of the CNEF data will be available to primary beneficiary on the contract, requiring each user to register separately.

Q: Can I donate money by credit card?

A: Certainly.

Via  internet: go to giveto.osu.edu
In the “I want to support” section please search for Fund Number 314978 and chose “The Cross National Equivalent File Project Fund”

Via phone: call 614-292-2141 and give your credit card information over the phone. Again, be sure to designate Fund Number: 314978. Name: The Cross National Equivalent File Project Fund.

Q: How much does access to the data cost?
A: We do not charge for the data. However, we ask users, especially first-time users, to donate to help defray the data production costs. Every individual researcher who gets data for the first time through OSU will receive a letter asking them to donate. We will solicit a donation the first time a researcher receives (any) data from us.

Q: What happens to the money donated?

The donations help fund our operations through periods where we have no federal funding for the project.  Until now we have only asked for donations from researchers the first time they get data from us. So far that arrangement has generated enough money to keep our operation running at the bare minimum.  Separately from us, an additional fee may be charged for HILDA-CNEF at the time you sign a user contract with them.